Friday, February 17, 2012

"Dinnertime!"

I have a few soups up my sleeve; this sounds messier than it is. You see, despite my husband's grumbles and recurring statement upon seeing soup for supper, "What's the main course?", I make and eat and love soup.

What follows used to be a plain broccoli spinach soup recipe that is now kitchen sink soup that's more appetizing than that makes it sound. This is the soup I make when I feel like we didn't eat enough veggies the day before or when I just want a tasty, quick dinner I know my 2 year old will gobble up.

Eat Your Greens Soup

Saute in olive oil:
1 onion, diced
2 carrots, diced
2 stalks celery or 2 leeks, sliced
6 cloves garlic, minced

Add:
8 cups of a combination of chicken or veg stock, potato cooking water, pureed squash, leftover mashed sweet potatoes, et cetra (this is the kitchen sink part)
2 heads of broccoli, cut into florets
2 fresh tomatoes, diced or equivalent canned tomatoes
1/4 cup parsley, chopped

Simmer as long as it takes you to wash the one bunch of spinach and remove stems (15-30 minutes depending on child interference).

Add:
1 bunch spinach leaves
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cardamom
S+P

Remove from heat and puree as much or little as you like.

Optional additions (it's good with all of the following or just one):
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 can cannellini beans
1 tsp basil pesto
Romano cheese, grated for garnish

No comments:

Post a Comment